Monday, June 29, 2009

The Massasauga

We tented in Oastler Provincial Park Thursday night. Friday we paddled into the Massasauga, with one portage. Saturday we paddled out.

For Laura and Colin:
Our random guess of 22 was pretty good. The ground was really damp in most places--but the tent, being new still, was indeed waterproof underneath.

It was a breezy location, which was essential for the conditions of our visit--buggy and muggy.

(Actually, the heat and mugginess didn't bother me, since there was LOTS of water nearby.)

I am indeed fully clothed (for bugs), and not uncomfortably hot. Yay! :)


Being pregnant, I was only responsible for the children during the portage, and Philip took care of the canoe and luggage. Fair deal, I say. ;) Because it was such a short trip, we(he) even managed to do it in two trips on the way back, and three on the way in. That has got to be a record for us!


A couple days before we left, Melanie and Matthew broke out with the boogers, and both of them were quite clingy, and a bit grumpy.

But camping is all about intimate family time, isn't it?



Campfire is mandatory for a genuine backcountry outing. After all, we're not allowed to have campfires in our own backyard, so we have to do them when we can.

This fire was nestled in behind a rock wall--it was a gusty location after all.


I was not disappointed when no rattlesnake encounters occurred. I'd imagined seeing 20 or so, with one or two bites...but not even a spot to be seen. I enjoy wildlife...but I must admit that I'm not too comfortable with poisonous reptiles just yet--I guess I just need more exposure. ;) I'd probably be fearless if I could pick up the antidote at the local drug store and pack it along, just in case. ;)


Climbing over rocky terrain wasn't something Matthew was keen on, especially since everything was still so new, and he was still not quite over the cold...but he loved having something to hang on to!


Melanie enjoyed camping, but really wished we could carry her around more often. She did request to go home on Friday, but she LOVED the marshmallows.


Even Nathan got sick of the bugs by the end. Especially after the portage on the way home when he was really tired.

It sure was easy to see the age difference in the kids. Nathan had a hoot, and was easy as pie. Melanie had several moments of weakness, and felt insecure with things, but warmed up to them once they became familiar. Matthew was a LOT of work. Once his walking improves, I imagine he will enjoy it more.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I know what you mean about the age differances. I love camping...even with kids!! Everyone thinks we're nuts when we go with the 'newborn' (we took all our kids as soon as we could!) but I find that is one of the easiest ages. Matthew's age is hard! Especially if you don't have a pack'n'play or if they don't want to stay in it. I think Peyton should be interesting this year. Crawling, wanting to walk and wanting out of the pack'n'play make for fun camping! I'm looking forward to Chandler, albit a little worried about the exploration part of his age! And the older girls...easy as pie!! :)
Glad you had fun. We're going this week for the holiday. One night, lotsa work=totally worth it (unless it rains! :P)

Mom/Zina said...

Glad you had a good family camping experience! Way to make memories! bugs are bad here too.
have a good week, love mom

Mom D said...

So glad to hear things went well. I see Matthew is already carving his initials or his name - did you teach him that!? (2nd picture)
I think it's great that Nathan can already really enjoy it and is so comfortable with it. Before you know it he will be a real help as well.
Funny, bugs are bad around here this year as well. They often are in parts of PEI but seldom in our yard. This year even we have them - not as many as in Massasauga, thankfully!

Roze said...

He's writing "I love Mommy". He figured that out himself.

Laura and Colin said...

Site #22 is still quite a little trek in, good for you in putting in the effort! I'm a little worried about the bugs too when we leave in a couple of weeks. Little kids can't defend themselves like we can against those awful pests.
If you ever don't want to do a portage and do a simpler (read:easier) trip, site #512 was very nice. Of course, it's not as remote but still quite quiet. You access it by Pete's Place. The other nice thing about that site is that it had it's own natural beach right on the site = great for little kids!

momofcrt said...

looks like a great memory for the children Roze.
I enjoy camping but because of moves and lack of holidays, we haven't camped for a few years.
Once we're back from Winnipeg,I think we'll "camp" in the yard for a couple of days.